On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 03:58:29PM +0000, José Fonseca wrote:
> The Voodoo 2 specs are available from http://www.medex.hu/~danthe/tdfx/
> . I don't know what's the current state of the tdfx driver in respect
> with Voodoo 2. The tdfx driver is quite different from any other driver
> because it uses the Glide library and everything is done by PIO on the
> client side. Several times it was manifested the interest in bringing
> the tdfx driver up to its pairs level and cut the Glide umbilical cord
> but nothing was done in that sense.

V2 specs are publically available as Jose pointed out. The trick with
the V2 is that it really is a 3D only card. It doesn't have any sorts of
blits, or even cursor support IIRC. It does use a MMAP'd ring buffer,
not PIO.

The DRI assumes X is running. You'd have to start with that. You can use
triangles to do lines and spans and the rest you treat as a dumb frame
buffer. It'll be slow, but it is doable.

As Keith mentioned, vertices do need to be snapped to 1/16th of a
pixel. There's an integer trick for doing that. So the fp in the kernel
isn't an issue.

Cutting the Glide umbilical cord would be a good project for someone
interested. There's been several people who've brought it up, but
results have never seen the light of day.

                                                - |Daryll