On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 12:12 AM, Pasi Lallinaho <o...@knome.fi> wrote:

>  Vincent wrote:
>

> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 9:13 AM, Steve Dodier <sidnio...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I agree with Pasi that Xubuntu may benefit from a multiple leaders board.
>> A single leader system too often, in my opinion, gave the impression that it
>> was Cody against the others when Cody was disagreeing on something with the
>> rest of the team, because it's hard to know if its the project lead or the
>> developer who disagrees. Having a more equal system would probably help
>> avoiding such bizarre situations.
>>
>> This being said, I'm willing to take absolutely no responsibilities of any
>> sort. :) I have enough work with my school, so all the free time I put into
>> FOSS will go to Shimmer projects (which yet match quite a few projects used
>> in Xubuntu, so I may not be competely useless :p). This should not restrict
>> me from babbling all over IRC and the mailing list, though.
>>
>> I'd personally love to see Cody, Pasi, Jim and Lionel (and Vincent?) as
>> that leaders council. You guys are the guys who get the work done, and you
>> all have a long experience with Xubuntu.
>>
>> I'd also like to say that new contributors or people who want to
>> contribute should not bother too much about the leadership thing. Everyone
>> is welcome in Xubuntu, and if you have feedback about what you feel held or
>> slowed you down from contributing, or about how to make you feel more
>> welcome in our little community, feel free to tell it.
>>

> So, I've found time to check my email and found this conversation. Which
> immediately brings me to my first point: I really don't have enough time to
> do some really serious stuff, besides not really having any useful skill. I
> do share the expectation that a council could work well for Xubuntu,
> provided that its members can really participate. The people mentioned until
> now have really proven that they are a really valuable part of the project,
> so I would really love them to join. (And I sometimes wonder what happened
> to Jozsef as well.)
>
> Sorry to hear your time is so limited. I hope you will still contribute to
> the project as much as you feel like.

Yeah well, I've been kind of a bad citizen in not really contributing much
in the past -well, a long time- anyway ;-) If someone asked to update
something on the website now it would've taken three days or so for me to do
it...

> Has anybody an idea what Joszef is doing right now?
>

> Furthermore, I'm excited to see another potential contributor, though I'd
> like to know J. Anthony Limon's first name ;-) Being a long time Xfce-user,
> I hope that you'll contribute in the #xubuntu IRC channel and the
> xubuntu-users mailinglist to help less experienced users. Another area where
> I think you could be very valuable (without knowing which other skills you
> might have :) is in documentation, so you might want to have a chat with Jim
> about that. Which brings me to my second point: could we expand the
> Documentation team to "User support" in general? Not sure whether it's
> really that necessary but it seems appropriate at first sight.
>
> Vincent, how limited your time really is?

When was the last time you saw me on IRC? ;-)

> Combining the website and the documentation team wouldn't sound a bad idea
> either, if you feel like you don't have time to or are unwilling to lead the
> website team. Please do not think I'm trying to throw you out of your leader
> role, I was just thinking all the possibilities we have, if you are going to
> be available less.

No offense taken, I think it's a good idea.

> Best,
> --
> Vincent
>
> I think a probably goos way to reorganize the teams/leaders would be:
>
> [ 1 ]  Technical team
> TEAM ROLE: No change.
> LEADER(S): Lionel and/or Cody, depending what would be the most logical
> solution and on how big role Cody wishes to keep in the project. I don't
> think it would be bad thing to have to leaders for the technical team
> either.

Sounds good.

> [ 2 ]  Documentation team
> TEAM ROLE: The doc team would include the current website team. I see no
> point in having a separate website team, as the website really isn't *that*
> big issue right now. I also think it would be easier to get new contributors
> to the documentation team, if they could be lured in with the phrase "the
> documentation team also administrates our website"...
> LEADER(S): Jim and/or Vincent. Two leaders here would also be plausible.

Jim, if he wants :)

 [ 3 ]  Marketing team
> TEAM ROLE: Current marketing and artwork teams combined.
> LEADER(S): Myself. Any objections are welcome. :)

None over here :)

> [ 4 ]  Testing/QA team
> TEAM ROLE: No change.
> LEADER(S): Charlie.

Hell yeah.

> Again I have to ask; what's the situation with Michael? How closely is he
> tied to the Xubuntu team? While he could totally keep his Debian Liaison
> title, would it be better to locate his position in the technical team?

I'll leave it for Michael to respond :)

--
Vincent