...that is, Xfce / Whisker / MenuLibre / XDG / whatever else that influences it. I've tried to clean it up a bit, but what I see in MenuLibre doesn't alway (i.e., rarely) match what I see in the Whisker menu. Thing is, I'm not sure if it's MenuLibre, Whisker or what that's behind the difference. With interaction between system and user level shortcuts, etc., it's nearly impossible to get things organized the way I'd like. I'm not sure where or who to ask, so I'll start here. :-)

For example:

* I'd like one (and only one) shortcut to any given program, in one menu location only (of my choosing). However, hiding 'extra' entries in one folder usually means they disappear everywhere (using MenuLibre). For example, if I set Document Viewer (Evince) in the Office folder to be hidden, it disappears from the Graphics folder as well. I deleted the Office category from both entries (which apparently reference the same .desktop file and (only) after restarting MenuLibre, it finally wasn't in the Office folder anymore. I assume wrangling with Categories is the way to do this? Surely there's a better way?

* When I click on System in Whisker, I have 10 items. When I open the System folder in MenuLibre, I have 65. (?!) Most of them aren't set to be hidden. ...really? Where are they in Whisker (they're mostly settings, so is this Category duplication)?

* MenuLibre -- Is there any way to:
    - Drag and drop entries?
    - Move multiple entries at once?
    - Nest folders within folders?
- Alphabetically sort entries inside a folder (preferably automatically)?

* Whisker Menu -- Is there any way to:
    - Completely hide / disable Favorites and Recently Used?
    - Add a "Recent documents" item?

* MenuLibre and/or Whisker --
- How do I force a reload/reread/whatever of changes s that they take effect? Restarting MenuLibre seems to have at least some effect, but is there a better way? - Some entries apparently can't be sorted; no matter how I move them, save the change, etc., they never change in Whisker.

OK - If you're still with me, I'll stop now... :-) Obviously I could benefit from a better understanding of what I'm doing (or not) in this area. I hate to say it but the nested directory scheme on Windows (prior to Win 8+ at least) is a WHOLE lot easier to manage, from a user perspective, particularly with a tool like Classic Shell.

Thanks for reading this far.

--
*Len Philpot*
lphilpo...@gmail.com <mailto:lphilpo...@gmail.com>