I am trying to upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04 LTS.  In the process, I am running programs that I normally do not (gparted, thunar as su).  After all programs are closed, I am getting the mouse pointer with a running circle.  I run htop, find thunar is taking 10% of the memory and --daemon in the command line in htop.  I kill it, the mouse pointer stays.  I reboot, mouse pointer is normal. then I run something and I'm back.

Am I running something in the background?  How do I find it.  Why is thunar running after I closed it?

John