Thank you so much for this, Marc! I was suggesting this was the issue as
well, and your encouragement got me to give it a shot. I ended up
running, as the second link suggested:

sysctl -w fs.file-max=100000

And the procedure (in this case, restoring a cloud backup) worked fine.
I suspect the issue has to do with the client from Pcloud, the cloud
backup provider I use. It may be calling more files than the system can
handle on default settings.

Thanks again!

Nathan