On Tue, 2023-09-26 at 07:59 +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> I don't think that's how nm-applet gets onto the panel.  It doesn't
> appear in the available to be added list.  It doesn't appear there
> either on my own (with working nm-applet) xubuntu system.

Hi,

the OP needs to add the Notification Area panel plugin
https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/systray and/or to adjust the
Notification Area panel plugin configuration.

There's something named nm-applet. How to auto-start it depends on the
desktop environment, it either has got a desktop-environment related
wrapper or you probably can use a freedesktop.org auto-start approach
via dbus-launch or a systemd unit to autostart it.

I'm neither using NetworkManager nor xfce4-panel nor a desktop
environment, hence I can't provide the explicit details, but just the
principle things like this do work. I'm an openbox user who does use a
few Xfce4 apps.

I don't know if xfce4-notifyd is involved. This is probably an annoyance
to drop the few xfce4-apps I'm still using in the near future. The more
GNOMEish Xfce4 gets, the more annoying it becomes even just using a few
Xcfe4 apps.

Regards,
Ralf