On 4/30/24 07:27, Chris Green wrote:
On Tue, Apr 30, 2024 at 12:34:49PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
I run several systems with xubuntu on them, I have one xubuntu 24.04

Oops!  I meant I have one xubuntu 22.04

and two xubuntu 23.10, so I'm fairly familiar with the interface.

I am going to install xubuntu 24.04 on a new system and I have booted
from a USB stick with 24.04 ISO on it, that works fine, but I need to
stop and start again to explore the disk layout options etc. and to
decide whether to keep an MS Windows partition.

I can't see how to shut down 24.04, there's no 'switch' button in the
apps menu (that I can see) and nor is there anything on the panel.
Clicking on the background brings up a selection of things to do but
again no shutdown.

So how do I turn this thing off short of pulling the plug!

--
Chris Green

The release notes for 24.04 indicate a shutdown problem on new installs.

https://wiki.xubuntu.org/releases/24.04/release-notes

Or, are you talking about menu options with a live install? If a live install, it is generally safe to hard rest a computer (usually, hold the power for 10+ seconds).

-Victor
Victor Forberger
vforber...@fastmail.fm
blog: http://linuxatty.wordpress.com