Did he miss out on something? Yeah. MyXaml.

I also think he is too focused on the whole presentation layer thing and doesn't see the benefits of markup being used to drive generic class instantiation.

It's an uphill battle, getting people to think outside of the box that Microsoft has put over people's heads, it seems.

Marc

Gerald Bauer wrote:

Hello,

 Vik David - an independent software consultant from
Virgina - has written up a blog story titled "Choosing
a UI Markup Language".

 Vik writes:

 Since HTML isn't enough for our next browser-based
UI application, I checked out the alternatives.
Several options use XML to describe the UI
declaratively. This is not a radically new idea, but
it is one that’s finally gaining momentum because Rich
Clients Are Making A Comeback and UI programming in
general is more API specific than necessary. Although
I've looked at Thinlets before, I wanted to consider
the competition as well. I grouped them into 4 options
(ordered by usage of Java):

- Microsoft’s XAML (no Java)
- Macromedia’s Flex (some Java)
- Mozilla-backed XUL, pronounced "zool" (optionally
very Java)
- other Java technologies (all Java)

Great! I see 4 different, some very vendor-specific,
ways of doing the same thing. Choose the wrong one
now, and you’ll be locked in for the next 5 years or
till the next big thing comes along. Maybe so, but
it’s a step in the right direction because
theoretically, you could port your XML-based UI code
from say XAML to XUL using XSLT – probably less time
consuming than porting .Net WinForms to Swing.
Besides, a lot of API-specific UI code is repetitive
and can be better handled declaratively (like HTML,
but richer).

It’s hard to do a side-by-side comparison of all 4
options because some are not fully ready yet.
Microsoft’s XAML and the accompanying Avalon rendering
engine won’t be widely available till the release of
Longhorn and not even Steve Balmer will say when that
is. If you need to explore XAML right now, try out
Xamlon and developer releases of Avalon/Longhorn.
What's troubling is, since XAML is accompanied by “a
whole new development platform”, is it likely to work
on the huge installed based of existing versions of
Windows/IE?

In contrast, Macromedia Flex apps work with existing
browsers and they're pretty cross-platform thanks to
the Flash player and server-side neutrality (.net or
J2EE). So Flex offers some java-friendly bait. But
then why aren’t Java developers biting? Well, Flex was
announced fairly recently, you have to buy a Flex
Presentation Server (starting at $12,000) and Java
developers must learn a non-Java language for UI
logic: ActionScript. Besides, it’s not like the Java
camp is lacking in all-Java alternatives (see below).

The third option, XUL, is an XML markup language
heavily used in the Firefox browser. Unlike XAML and
Flex, XUL has some hard evidence available in the form
of Firefox extensions written in XUL. Installing an
XUL-based extension was a snap – just right-click
download an .xpi file (XPInstall) and Firefox handles
the rest. Like Flex, XUL can be used with server-side
tools like JSP to build dynamic content. Unlike Flex,
but like XAML, XUL's targeted toward applications that
also run outside the browser with the help of a
runtime environment (Gecko Runtime Environment).

Finally, it’s no surprise that the Java platform
offers the widest set of options for developing your
UI in XML. Java Republic’s recent poll asking
developer’s to rank their Java XML UI toolkit had
user’s listing out several options: Thinlets, Luxor (a
XUL implementation), SwiXml, and JDNC, among others.
Compared to XAML and Flex, the benefits of these
options are: available now, deployable in existing
environments and low-cost to free. These technologies
will see a lot of innovation before standardization so
I'll be checking back on the product vendors of XAML
and Flex to see how they intend to compete with Java's
benefits.

 Source:
http://vikdavid.typepad.com/fairbiased/2004/08/markup_language.html

 Do you agree with Vik's analysis? Has Vik missed out
on something? Do you have any advice for Vik? Let us
know what you think.

 - Gerald

Gerald Bauer

XUL Alliance | http://xul.sourceforge.net United XAML | http://xaml.sourceforge.net

Interested in hiring Gerald Bauer? Yes, I'm available.

If you know of an opportunity in Toronto or Vancouver,
please contact me today.