Hey, I'm seeing if XUL can solve this little problem I've been looking into
recently.  It looks like it can, in theory, but I don't know if it's all
fully there yet:

Basically, I want to create a kind of kiosk-like media player that can play
some movies, some flash, some slide shows, maybe display a few
pre-determined web pages, etc., and all of this needs to work on Linux or
FreeBSD.

I was thinking XUL sounds like it should be able to do the job since it's
got all the plugins I would need to play the various pieces like movies,
flash, etc. and it'll show web pages and automatically scale images when I
need it to...  and overall it looks pretty simple to use.

But when I started writing a little demo, I found some strange things:

*  I can get a flash movie to play when I want it to in an http:embed tag,
but I can't make that tag hide (hidden=true and collapsed=true both do
nothing) when I am done with playing the movie.  It looks like embed tags
are always shown.  The only way I've been able to simulate it is by having
another blank box sitting in front of the movie tag that I can use to do my
showing and hiding.

*  I can get a flash movie to play when using the DOM inspector, but if
launched from the command line the embed.Play() call seems to do nothing.
It sits frozen in stop mode.  Is there some permission differences between
launching a XUL file from the command line vs. clicking Inspect?

*  I can't get mpeg/avi movies to play in anything except the default
plug-in (which is QuickTime in this case).  How can I get an html:embed tag
to use a different plug-in for a particular media/mime type?

Thanks!
Mason