Hi,
> > One, Longhorn is turning into a major debacle.
> Two, XAML is dead.

* I'm not that optimistic, as there is another
possibility :
 Microsoft might reinvest its forces in internet
explorer 7, and this new version might include some
XML UI features, aka XAML.
This is a real danger for all XML UIs.

(Do you remind how they included the CLR in windows
before launching .Net ?
And how long it took to launch .Net ? and how
widespread it is now ?)

> and then the best-of-breed of the XAML competitors
will have stolen the show.
** Mozilla is trying hard to compete for years, with
or without XUL, and has not succeeded yet, despite its
guerilla marketing techniques. I don't remind the
percentage of mozilla browser installed, but it's not
high.

If the Google Browser is not a mere announce, it might
be a more usefull help for XUL, and I hope other XML
UI can benefit from this.

> will people want to use XAML when there are other
> proven technologies out there?
*** Unfortunality, "people" don't choose. It's always
very hard to convince CIO/CTO/Decision Makers that
it's better to use an unknown but good technology than
the one of a well known company like
Microsoft/IBM/Sun.

IMO, for the future of XML UI, it's better to have
behemoth to compete with, so we can say aloud "see,
the big ones try to do the same as we do, but they're
way behind".

If Microsoft gives up XAML, Decision Makers might say
: "is your XML UI really that good ? Why did Microsoft
gave it up ? isn't it weird ? may be it's not a good
idea..."

I wouldn't go as far as supporting XAML, of course,
but what I mean is that the more "competitors" there
are, the easier it is to convince people that XML UIs
are a breakthrough for Rich clients in Internet
Applications.

**** IMHO, XML UI technologies still have to convince
that they are good for internet, and for business :
it's still necessary to prototype "real life
applications" and benchmark them between XML UIs and
above all against other solutions
(jsp/asp/applet/flash/heavy client).

Philippe Aubourg

 --- Charles Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit :
> On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 14:16 -0400, Marc Clifton
> wrote:
> > Two things that I think, without any justification
> other than gut feel.
>
> I can't say I disagree.  The 'official date' of 2006
> for Longhorn is
> beginning to seem optimistic at best.  And XAML,
> well, it's going to
> literally miss it's boat if it doesn't ship with
> Longhorn.  Between now
> and then the best-of-breed of the XAML competitors
> (MyXAML, XUL,
> hopefully Vexi, and others) will have stolen the
> show.  Given the poor
> history Microsoft of initial versions of software
> being, basically,
> buggy and unstable, will people want to use XAML
> when there are other
> proven technologies out there?  And such
> technologies will be proven and
> widespread by the time it seems that XAML will make
> it to market.
>
> This, though, is good news from our perspectives.
> One less behemoth to
> worry about!
> --
> - Charlie
>
> Charles Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Online @ http://charlie.vexico.com

Le nouveau Yahoo! Messenger est arrivé ! Découvrez toutes les nouveautés pour
dialoguer instantanément avec vos amis. A télécharger gratuitement sur
http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com