Hello,

  Via an old blog story titled "More Love for XAML
Syntax: Dotted Element Names" by Pete Cole I stumbled
over a case study comparing XUL vs. XAML.

  Don Box (the COM grandmaster and now Indigo chief
architect) writes:

  If you're doing anything fancy, like specifying an
access key, you can do this using the dotted element
name syntax:

<MenuItem>
  <MenuItem.Header>
    <FlowPanel>
      <AccessKey Key="N" />
      <SimpleText>ew</SimpleText>
    </FlowPanel>
  </MenuItem.Header>
</MenuItem>

Pet Cole comments:

Heck, I hope it's not really going to be this verbose
otherwise we are just back to IDE based editing only;
is this possible, and if not why not?

<MenuItem Text="_New" AccessKey="N" />

I wouldn't have said that an access key on a menu is
'fancy'.

Rob Relyea - the Microsoft XAML spec lead and owner -
comments:

Yes, clearly this is a case we need to simplify. After
I read this today, I checked with the people who own
this. Already the <FlowPanel> is no longer necessary.
Next they are discussing ways to make accesskey
simpler as well - still in design discussions. Thanks
for bringing this up.

What's your take? Do think Microsoft's dotted element
notation helps or hinders in keeping your markup
simple?

  - Gerald