Hello,

  Some tech sites covered today's Xamlon 1.0 release
with some commentary.

  internetnews.com writes:

XAML is Microsoft's proprietary extension to the XML
standard, and Colton said that it's not clear whether
his company might face the need to license Microsoft's
tech in the future.

Microsoft's licensing plans for XAML remain vague,
said O'Kelly. "This will be interesting litmus test
for Microsoft," he said. "Will they put it into open
source? If Microsoft says, 'This is important for
developers, and we're putting heavy IP protection on
it,' a lot of developers will have problems with it."

Sax wasn't sure how much of a future Xamlon has
against upcoming developer toolsets. "Visual Studio
will probably eclipse Xamlon as a development tool for
building XAML apps, and now that Avalon will be
available on older versions of Windows, the runtime
loses much of its appeal." He said Xamlon could help
move XAML to other platforms, especially the Mono
project, an open source application that lets Linux,
UNIX and other Mono-supported platform programmers
create .NET apps.

"It's not our goal to compete with Microsoft," Colton
said. He figures the company has two years to sell
development tools before Microsoft enables XAML
development in Visual Studio and Longhorn. He plans to
continue to advance the tools, then move the company's
offerings toward training and support. "They're giving
us this great lead time to hone our tools," he said.

O'Kelly said the faster developers start working with
XAML, the better for Microsoft. "The more people who
can explore something and provide feedback, the better
it will be."

  Source:

  What's your take? Are you ready to jump on the XAML
bandwagon? Do you think Xamlon can beat Microsoft?

   - Gerald