Hello,

  Ryan Dawson has written up a blog story titled
"Avalon Knock-Offs Don't Make the Cut".

  Ryan writes:

  Lately I have been testing the Avalon knock-offs,
VG.Net and Xamlon, to name the ones I am aware of.

  I would have to say that I am pretty impressed by
what both companies have done. They are both in
release about a year after the initial PDC that
started it all, and they both seem to be healthy.

  Xamlon is going more for the ultimate compatibility
road to Avalon, while VG.NET is more about having the
best platform while borrowing ideas from Avalon and
XAML.

  To both companies, I like what you are doing, but I
think you both miss the boat; here is what people
want:

  1. People aren't going to switch to Avalon for XAML.
Not a chance. It just happens to be a neat
serialization format that is easy-to-use for designers
(the software type). Also, it can double as a
text-based programming language (like HTML) which
means it simplifies development for trivial tasks. On
the other hand, you guys have put so much time and
effort into having compatibility and what not with
Avalon, and I think it's a waste of time. It reminds
me of a post by Rory where he explains how everyone on
SourceForge spends so much time setting up the license
type and administrative details, but they never get
around to actually writing a product.

  2. Vector graphics are cool and everything…but, not
by themselves. Vectors are great because they have
scalability. Although, it only works if you can get
everything vector-ized. A vector graphic sitting in
the background of my application is never something
that I have wanted. Granted that bitmaps don't scale,
I am happy using them for background transparent
images, and they work great. So, bringing the ability
to put a vector image in my application is nonsense.
What I want are controls that are completely
vector-ized, period.

  3. One of the biggest keys to productivity that the
.Net Framework does not currently (<= 1.1) have is a
state of the art layout engine. This is by far one of
the biggest keys to development of a UI. The amount of
dumb code that I used to write for resizing and layout
was huge. It reminds me of type mapping for databases
to CLR types. Both are dumb code and very error prone.
I didn't see a layout engine in either of these
products. I may have just not noticed it, but that is
a huge mistake on both parts. Huge.

  4. I want a custom TextBox. That is all. When I get
that, I will go back to my corner and never say
another thing again. The same applies to all controls,
but the TextBox is the worst since it is drawn by
Windows. Back to the vector point; people don't want
vector graphics, they want controls -those are what
compose applications, not stupid pictures. On the
simple side, I just want controls with borders that
are anything but square (and no, simply setting the
Region property is not good enough, it's too rough).
Rounded is in. Just like any designer will tell you -
ebony is the new black. Round is the new square.

  5. Both companies went after animation (Xamlon for
3D, VG.Net for 2D – more like Avalon). Animation is
great, although, again, animation of stupid little
pictures is the biggest feature that people will not
put into their programs. People want menus that use
cool animation (gravity) - or any feature that opens
and closes; or the way controls populate and
de-populate a form – like expose for Mac. Simple
animations will not cut it unless you have a full
support through the platform.

I don't want to sound like a jerk…but, they both
should have just teamed up and wrote a new composition
engine where they could get everything right. I mean,
it's a hard problem without solving some platform
issues.

I only mentioned things that I know are possible using
GDI+ and .NET. These don't include things that Avalon
(itself) is going to have a hard time with on XP.

If I have anything wrong, please correct me!

Source:
http://www.longhornblogs.com/rdawson/archive/2004/10/04/5807.aspx

Do you agree with Ryan or is Ryan all wrong? Let us
know what you think.

- Gerald