Hello Dominic,

> My only concern, and this is a big one, is
> that I feel that XML is inappropriate for scripting
> (which is essentially
> what we are talking about when it comes to building
> user interfaces).

  I think you're mixing up some concepts here. I agree
that XML is not appropriate for scripting.

  Note, however, that XML UI languages don't replace
scripting. In contrast like Ying & Yang, Adam & Eve or
HTML & JavaScript, XML UI languages and scripting
languages depend on each other.

  See
http://xul.sourceforge.net/talk/mtd-may-2004/slides.html#xul-7
for the big picture.

> I really believe that XUL would be much better off
> if it lost the X and was
> just a browser interpretable scripting language
> (JavaScript?) which was used
> for describing user interfaces.

  Well, you can use Java or C# or whatever today to
describe your user interfaces. Or you can use Python,
Ruby, etc.

  The point of XML UI languages is to follow the HTML
model of separation of concerns, that is, use
different languages for styling, structure, behavior
and so on instead of a magic all-in-one (scripting)
language.

   - Gerald