Instead of calling it server push, I like to call it
client pull. The client uses some RPC mechanism to
contact the server.

check out google suggest with a mozilla base browser
like firefox:
http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en

I haven't looked at the details, but I'm guessing its
using soap libraries in mozilla to retrieve
information from some backend service.

I have a tutorial at http://sulu.sourceforge.net how
to interface with a .NET webservice using apache axis
generated java stubs.

If you have control over what your backend and
front-end is, don't use webservices.  Use webservices
only as a least common denominator for
interoperability.  Build your system using whatever
technology you like J2EE, CORBA, JINI, JXTA, whatever,
then layer on a webservice adapter for
interoperability.