Arron Ferguson wrote:
I just finished watching Star Wars Empire Strikes back and I still have
Darth Vader's theme song stuck in my head. Having said that Kurt is
probably not that far off the mark.

Considering Microsoft never met a software market it didn't want to dominate, I'd say that's a safe bet.

My guess is they'll come up swinging now that they're quickly losing
browser market share (I'm sure they're aware of all the polls out
there).

I think in the short term, you might actually see them make
improvements in Internet Explorer. These improvements will be limited in
scope to prevent breaking of old content, though, even when that content violates web standards. A good example would be the alpha channel
support for PNG images. They could easily fix this without breaking
legacy content.

Problem is, his suggestion of getting the opposition going on this
doesn't seem likely (I'm assuming he's referring to the Open Source
community). Everybody's too busy going their own way. Having said that,
that's probably the strength for the current Web: it's a total
hodge-podge of many technologies, many organizations, many companies and
many developers.

First of all, I think you miss his point. He's saying that opposition would be more likely to develop critical mass if Microsoft announces a real release date for XAML. The lack of focus on a specific standard is in part a belief that XAML's release is still way off in the distance. If there was a hard release date, people would start looking where that fits into their own development schedules and realize that they don't have nearly as much time as they thought they did.

As for a hodge-podge of standards, I really don't see that. There
may be some diversity in some areas, but the most successful technologies on the web (HTTP, HTML, DOM, ECMAscript, CSS) are based on open standards developed by several web standards organizations.

Microsoft would have to offer one really really sweet deal for the
entire Web as we know it to fold and for everyone to move over to
XAML/.NET/Windows 200x. That would have to be the mother of all killer
apps.

To some extent I agree with you. However, without reasonable competition deployed prior to the release of XAML, Microsoft could come in with a complete and comprehensive suite of development tools an grab a significant portion of the development market before anyone knows what hit them. It would take a decade to undo this kind of damage if we're not prepared.

(my 0.02)

That's in New Yen, right? ;)