I don't know whether the parts of Mozilla are over engineered or not, however, it would be interesting to build portable cross platform GUI's in an XUL like manner. I looked recently at portable GUI toolkits such as wxPython and PyQt and I already wondered if there would be an easier way to do i, like XUL for Python applications.
Gerald, I don't find the post on the python mailing list, can you give me a hint of the subject or date?

Thanks,

Karl

Gerald Bauer wrote:

Hello,

 Jon Perez writes on the python mailinglist:

Still, what I think would appeal to a lot of people
(although they might not know it yet) as a GUI
solution for Python is Mozilla XUL with all the RDF
and XPCOM crap surgically removed from it.

If you've ever tried a couple of basic XUL tutorials,
I think you would be convinced that XUL is an even
better way to develop GUIs than visual RAD tools.

After years of doing web apps, I feel the DHTML/DOM
approach as applied to GUI creation is superior in
terms of learning curve, productivity and ease of code
maintenance to imperative language, event-driven,
IDE-coupled frameworks like Delphi, Windows Forms or
Swing... except for the fact that the HTML widgets (if
you could even call them that) are very primitive.

XUL essentially gives you full fledged GUI widgets and
allows you to script them from Javascript the same way
you script HTML elements via DOM or DHTML (very
easily, in other words).  Now, imagine being able to
use Python instead of Javascript... sounds like a
match made in heaven to me.

Unfortunately, the Mozilla developers are too
enamoured with Javascript and RDF and XPCOM to realize
that XUL (which is really shaping up beautifully if
you look at Firefox and Thunderbird) is the real star
in their stable and many people would like to use it
without being forced to deal with the other
complicated, overengineered technologies surrounding
it.

 Source:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.general/381625

 Do you agree with Jon Perez that there's not much
value in Mozilla XUL as long as its bound to the
overengineered RDF, XPCOM, XPInstall, XPFE, XBL and so
on machinery?

 - Gerald

------------------------------------------------------- The SF.Net email is sponsored by: Beat the post-holiday blues Get a FREE limited edition SourceForge.net t-shirt from ThinkGeek. It's fun and FREE -- well, almost....http://www.thinkgeek.com/sfshirt _______________________________________________ xul-talk mailing list xul-talk@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xul-talk

.