I just ran a profiling job, and I have a questionning result.

45% of cpu time is used for the function "mcount" from libc.

According to some googling :

"gcc inserts calls to mcount() at the start and end of functions if profiling (-p) is enabled."

That is good, it seems this operation will not take time if profiling is disabled (and it takes so much time because of function calls like "iterator++" or "body::byId(i)").

But then I have two questions in mind :
1. How comes valgrind/kcachegrind is not removing the time for mcount from results? It would make sense. 2. Why could I profile for years without option -p and I could get (apparently) consistent results?

Just asking in case somebody knows the answer already.

Bruno

--

Chareyre Bruno

Grenoble INP
Laboratoire 3SR - bureau E145
BP 53 - 38041, Grenoble cedex 9 - France
Tél : 33 4 56 52 86 21
Fax : 33 4 76 82 70 43