1. How comes valgrind/kcachegrind is not removing the time for mcount from results? It would make sense.
See answer to 2. mcount() and -p is orthogonal to valgrind profiling technique.
2. Why could I profile for years without option -p and I could get (apparently) consistent results?
Valgrind uses different profiling technique (dynamic code translation/instrumentation), whereas profiling with -p inserts special call at the beginning (and end, I assume) of every function at compile time. -p is used if compiling with profile=1. Valgrind does not need recompilation.

Vaclav