1) was it done already by someone, and I missed this?

Membranes have been fully implemented for a while, as minkowsky sums of triangulated surface and sphere, in... SDEC! The most complex part to implement in Yade is you have to track when interactions are going from body-facet1 to body-facet2, in order to guarantee the continuity of the force. If you want to try and implement that in Yade, I'm sure colleagues will be glad to provide their SDEC code.

2) it is maybe not necessary, because periodic boundaries also allow
to see localization due to shearing? (I doubt that, because the shift
on one side is on different height than the shift on right side).

Not sure.
To detect spheres that touch the membrane I will do a Delaunay
triangulation of whole sample, with extra four points added. Each of
those four points is on the exterior of the sample and is a
"membrane point". Any sphere that gets connected through Delaunay
with this point must be lying on the boundary and is in contact with
membrane.
This is already implemented in Yade, with weighted "radical" Delaunay. See e.g. volumicContactLaw or TesselationWrapper::addBoundingPlanes, where bounding planes are spheres of very big radius far away from the packing (distance=radius).

I suppose that eigen has Delaunay triangulation.
No, eigen is only for basic linear algebra, but you can use CGAL.

http://www.cgal.org/Manual/latest/doc_html/cgal_manual/Triangulation_3/Chapter_main.html
http://www.cgal.org/Manual/latest/doc_html/cgal_manual/Triangulation_3_ref/Chapter_intro.html

Bruno

--