From: Andrew Wang [mailto:andrew.w...@cloudera.com]
Sent: 08 March 2017 04:22
To: Sangjin Lee
Cc: Marton Elek; Hadoop Common; yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org; Hdfs-dev;
mapreduce-...@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: About 2.7.4 Release

Our release steps are documented on the wiki:

2.6/2.7:

https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToReleasePreDSBCR

2.8+:
https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToRelease

I think given the push toward 2.8 and 3.0, there's less interest in
streamlining the 2.6 and 2.7 release processes. CHANGES.txt is the biggest
pain, and that's fixed in 2.8+.

Current pain points for 2.8+ include:

# fixing up JIRA versions and the release notes, though I somewhat addressed
this with the versions script for 3.x # making and staging an RC and sending
the vote email still requires a lot of manual steps # publishing the release is
also quite manual

I think the RC issues can be attacked with enough scripting. Steve had an ant
file that automated a lot of this for slider. I think it'd be nice to have a
nightly Jenkins job that builds an RC, since I've spent a day or two for each
3.x alpha fixing build issues.

Publishing can be attacked via a mix of scripting and revamping the darned
website. Forrest is pretty bad compared to the newer static site generators out
there (e.g. need to write XML instead of markdown, it's hard to review a
staging site because of all the absolute links, hard to customize, did I
mention XML?), and the look and feel of the site is from the 00s. We don't
actually have that much site content, so it should be possible to migrate to a
new system.