I have the merge commit version locally; let me push it out to github

OK...its on 
https://github.com/steveloughran/hadoop/tree/s3guard/HADOOP-15583-ddb-credentials


*   c163d1797ad - (HEAD -> s3guard/HADOOP-15583-ddb-credentials, 
gerrit/apache-ref/trunk, apache/trunk, trunk) Merge branch 'trunk' of 
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop into trunk (3 hours ago)
|\
| * 99febe7fd50 - YARN-7451. Add missing tests to verify the presence of custom 
resources of RM apps and scheduler webservice endpoints (snemeth via rkanter) 
(3 hours ago)
| * 17262470246 - YARN-7556. Fair scheduler configuration should allow resource 
types in the minResources and maxResources properties. (Daniel Templeton and 
Szilard Nemeth via Haibo Chen) (4 hours ago)
* | 0d9804dcef2 - YARN-8435. Fix NPE when the same client simultaneously 
contact for the first time Yarn Router. Contributed by Rang Jiaheng. (3 hours 
ago)
|/
* 71df8c27c9a - HDDS-212. Introduce NodeStateManager to manage the state of 
Datanodes in SCM. Contributed by Nanda kumar. (25 hours ago)
* 3b637155a47 - HDFS-13528. RBF: If a directory exceeds quota limit then quota 
usage is not refreshed for other mount entries. Contributed by Dibyendu 
Karmakar. (2 days ago)

As noted, people (me!) had already pulled out the update; reverting causes more 
pain than is gained in these situations. Best just to revert things you don't 
want in there.

-Steve

On 5 Jul 2018, at 23:17, Wangda Tan 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

It looks like the latest revert is not correct, many of commits get reverted.

Dealing with merge commit revert is different from reverting a normal commit: 
https://www.christianengvall.se/undo-pushed-merge-git/

We have to do force reset, now it is a complete mess in trunk.



On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 2:10 PM Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
What is broken due to this merge commit?

+Vinod

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 2:03 PM, Arun Suresh 
> <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>
> I agree with Sean, to be honest.. it is disruptive.
> Also, we have to kind of lock down the repo till it is completed..
>
> I recommend we be careful and try not to get into this situation again..
>
> -1 on force pushing..
>
> Cheers
> -Arun
>
> On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 1:55 PM Sean Busbey 
> <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>
>> If we need a vote, please have a thread with either DISCUSS or
>> preferably VOTE in the subject so folks are more likely to see it.
>>
>> that said, I'm -1 (non-binding). force pushes are extremely
>> disruptive. there's no way to know who's updated their local git repo
>> to include these changes in the last few hours. if a merge commit is
>> so disruptive that we need to subject folks to the inconvenience of a
>> force push then we should have more tooling in place to avoid them
>> (like client side git hooks for all committers).
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 3:36 PM, Wangda Tan 
>> <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>> +1 for force reset the branch.
>>>
>>> On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 12:14 PM Subru Krishnan 
>>> <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Looking at the merge commit, I feel it's better to reset/force push
>>>> especially since this is still the latest commit on trunk.
>>>>
>>>> I have raised an INFRA ticket requesting the same:
>>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-16727
>>>>
>>>> -S
>>>>
>>>> On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 11:45 AM, Sean Busbey
>> <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> FYI, no images make it through ASF mailing lists. I presume the image
>> was
>>>>> of the git history? If that's correct, here's what that looks like in
>> a
>>>>> paste:
>>>>>
>>>>> https://paste.apache.org/eRix
>>>>>
>>>>> There are no force pushes on trunk, so backing the change out would
>>>> require
>>>>> the PMC asking INFRA to unblock force pushes for a period of time.
>>>>>
>>>>> Probably the merge commit isn't a big enough deal to do that. There
>> was a
>>>>> merge commit ~5 months ago for when YARN-6592 merged into trunk.
>>>>>
>>>>> So I'd say just try to avoid doing it in the future?
>>>>>
>>>>> -busbey
>>>>>
>>>>> On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 1:31 PM, Giovanni Matteo Fumarola <
>>>>> [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Hi folks,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> After I pushed something on trunk a merge commit showed up in the
>>>>> history. *My
>>>>>> bad*.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Since it was one of my first patches, I run a few tests on my
>> machine
>>>>>> before checked in.
>>>>>> While I was running all the tests, someone else checked in. I
>> correctly
>>>>>> pulled all the new changes.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Even before I did the "git push" there was no merge commit in my
>>>> history.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Can someone help me reverting this change?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thanks
>>>>>> Giovanni
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> busbey
>>>>>
>>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> busbey
>>


Reply via email to