Hi all,

During the review meeting we found an interesting problem with referencing the
code
located in another GitHub repositories.

I wanted to link the list of remote URL schemes defined in libzypp therefore I
added
this link to the code:

  https://github.com/openSUSE/libzypp/blob/master/zypp/Url.cc#L464

However, the disadvantage is that after adding or removing some code the line
number
won't match any more.

Another approach is to link to a specific commit:

https://github.com/openSUSE/libzypp/blob/6b22871a0aab134538edcb6e3d0321330817baaa/zypp/Url.cc#L464

The advantage is that the line won't move as we point to a fixed point in the
history. Obviously the disadvantage is that if libzypp adds a new schema you
will not
see it there.

So both approaches have advantages and disadvantages. Unfortunately neither of
them
handles code changes well.

The question is which way we should prefer? Point to a moving "master" or pin to
a specific commit which might get obsolete? Your opinions?

--
Ladislav Slezák
YaST Developer

SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.