On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 11:59:12AM +0200, Ladislav Slezak wrote:
> During the review meeting we found an interesting problem with referencing
> the code
> located in another GitHub repositories.
> I wanted to link the list of remote URL schemes defined in libzypp therefore
> I added
> this link to the code:
>   https://github.com/openSUSE/libzypp/blob/master/zypp/Url.cc#L464

Once the code changes, this points to a random place. Useless.

> However, the disadvantage is that after adding or removing some code the line
> number
> won't match any more.
> Another approach is to link to a specific commit:
> https://github.com/openSUSE/libzypp/blob/6b22871a0aab134538edcb6e3d0321330817baaa/zypp/Url.cc#L464

This one is better, because you will see the exact code being
referred to, and you can always switch to `master` and locate the
current version of the code.

GitHub tip: pressing 'y' will convert the former URL to the latter.

Martin Vidner, YaST Team