The Times


*SABC chairman, CEO must quit: Labour*


*Sapa, The Times, Johannesburg, 6 August 2010*

SABC board chairman Ben Ngubane and CEO Solly Mokoetle must resign over allegations good governance procedures had been flouted and problems continued to plague the public broadcaster, labour said on Friday.

The SOS campaign -- comprising Congress of SA Trade Unions, Federation of Unions of SA, NGOs, industry related bodies,academics and freedom of expression activists -- noted with dismay the seemingly endless governance problems at the SABC.

"From media reports... it appears that Mokoetle, without board approval, has authorised additional bonuses to staff," it said in a statement.

"These discretionary bonuses related to the world cup are reportedly costing the public broadcaster R4.5m -- and this at a time of great financial strain for the broadcaster."

There seemed to be some controversy around whether these payments were in fact in lieu of overtime.

The interim board reportedly had arranged a R1.47 billion government guarantee in 2009 to repay the SABC's debts and help with the implementation of a much needed turn-around strategy.

The understanding from the Treasury was that all unnecessary spending would be strictly curtailed.

"So even if the CEO did not require specific board approval for the world cup bonuses, the wisdom of the decision must surely be questioned," SOS said.

The coalition believed the ongoing crises at had become so serious urgent action from Parliament was, "sadly", once again required.

Interventions should include passing a resolution of no-confidence in Mokoetle and drafting a formal letter to the Speaker of the National Assembly requesting Parliament to initiate an enquiry into the alleged misconduct.

"SOS reiterates once again the critical importance of the SABC fostering a culture of transparency and communication.

"As a public broadcaster, the SABC's main stakeholder is the public.

Hence the SABC needs to ensure that its decision-making and governance processes -- and the details of the crises and how they are being handled -- are effectively communicated to the nation."

*From: http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/article590816.ece/SABC-chairman-CEO-must-quit--Labour*
* *

--
You are subscribed. This footer can help you.
Please POST your comments to [email protected] or reply to this 
message.
You can visit the group WEB SITE at 
http://groups.google.com/group/yclsa-eom-forum for different delivery options, 
pages, files and membership.
To UNSUBSCRIBE, please email [email protected] . You don't 
have to put anything in the "Subject:" field. You don't have to put anything in 
the message part. All you have to do is to send an e-mail to this address (repeat): 
[email protected] .

<<image/jpeg>>

Reply via email to