New Age2.png
Low morale at Protector's office as CEO, CFO resign Staff Reporter, the New Age, Johannesburg, 9 September 2014 Top administrators in the Public Protector's office Thuli Madonsela have resigned from their positions as low morale rages on. The chief executive and chief financial officers in the Office of the Public Protector have resigned. CEO Themba Mthethwa's extended employment contract was to have expired on December 31, spokesman Oupa Segalwe said. However, he resigned last month indicating that he had received a better offer elsewhere. CFO Dumisani Dlamini, also resigned last month after accepting a better offer elsewhere. "Due to the Public Protector South Africa's limited resources, the CEO and CFO are appointed at lower levels compared to their equals in government," said Segalwe. "For example, the CEO should have been at the level of a director general while the CFO should have been at the level of the deputy director general." In 2012, Mthethwa was at the centre of allegations of maladministration and financial misconduct in the Office of the Public Protector. These allegations were contained in an anonymous 12-page document, allegedly by a group of employees. At the time, Public Protector Thuli Madonsela confirmed that she was investigating the allegations. According to mg.co.za, employees at the office "remain divided, and morale low." CIA linked? The Public Protector's office denied the allegations that the resignations are in anyway related to the comments made by the deputy minister yesterday that Madonsela is a CIA spy. The "CIA spy" attack on Thuli Madonsela has created a diplomatic headache for South Africa. "We categorically reject the baseless and offensive accusations from the Deputy Minister (of Defence and Military Veterans) and will lodge a complaint through diplomatic channels," US ambassador Patrick Gaspard tweeted yesterday. Gaspard said suggestions that Madonsela was a CIA agent were "offensive". Kebby Maphatsoe, the Deputy Minister of Defence and Military Veterans, however, yesterday persisted with his attacks on Madonsela. This despite the growing storm over his comments and the ANC having distanced itself from his utterances. Maphatsoe told a press conference at the ANC's Luthuli House headquarters in Johannesburg that Madonsela's conduct was that of a foreign agent seeking to cause instability in the country. "We are going to summon every MKMVA member in the Luthuli House detachment to defend the ANC. We vow to lay down our lives in protection of the ANC and democracy. We appeal to advocate Madonsela to show maturity, less fondness for publicity stunts," Maphatsoe said. "If Madonsela feels more powerful and above the Constitution, she should tell the country who her handlers are," he said. The spokesperson for the public protector, Oupa Segwale, reacted strongly to Maphatsoe's accusations and said that Madonsela was concerned about the comments that were attributed to the deputy minister. "She has decided not to comment fully on this matter at this stage except to say that she wrote to Mr Maphatsoe yesterday, requesting him to confirm if he indeed made those comments and if so, provide her with incontrovertible evidence within 72 hours of receipt of the letter to support the claims." Segwale said The public protector also expected Maphatsoe to issue a retraction and a public apology within the said period, Segwale said. "Failing which Madonsela would invoke the contempt of the public protector powers in terms of Sections 9 and 11 of the Public Protector Act 23 of 1994," he said. The special adviser to Maphatsoe, Ike Moroe, denied that Madonsela was accused of being a CIA spy, instead that she "operated like a CIA agent". "Maphatsoe had simply made reference to the possibility of Madonsela being a CIA agent as a plot to destabilise the ANC and the country." The ANC has distanced itself from Maphatsoe's remarks. Spokesperson, Zizi Kodwa said the exchange was "extremely unfortunate" and that the ANC had no information at its disposal to comment further on the matter. "As the ANC we reaffirm our support and confidence in the institutions established to promote and safeguard our democracy, notably the office of the public protector," Kodwa said. "It is our unwavering belief that those who lead these important institutions should be able to conduct their work unhindered and without any fear or favour," he said. Meanwhile, the ANC's alliance partner, the South African Communist Party (SACP), also joined the MKMVA in its onslaught against Madonsela. It believed the security upgrade at President Jacob Zuma's Nkandla home was a "setup" to dent his image and that right-wing forces in the country were on the rampage using anything to disrupt and destabilise the ANC government. SACP's Moses Mabhida and regional secretary Themba Mthembu said at a briefing in Durban yesterday that the onslaught on Zuma was an indication that people were out to get him. It is also reported that administrators in the office are not remunerated accordingly. In the meantime the posts are being advertised, their roles will be performed temporarily by other senior officials in the office. From: http://thenewage.co.za/137221-1007-53-Low_morale_at_Protectors_office_as_CEO _CFO_resign -- -- You are subscribed. This footer can help you. Please POST your comments to [email protected] or reply to this message. You can visit the group WEB SITE at http://groups.google.com/group/yclsa-eom-forum for different delivery options, pages, files and membership. To UNSUBSCRIBE, please email [email protected] . You don't have to put anything in the "Subject:" field. You don't have to put anything in the message part. All you have to do is to send an e-mail to this address (repeat): [email protected] . --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "YCLSA Discussion Forum" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected]. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
