Mercury 2.gif

 

 

Two ANC candidates shot dead in 12 hours

 

 

Thami Magubane, The Mercury, Durban, 19 July 2016

 

The number of deaths of ANC members in suspected political attacks continued
to climb with two more ANC members shot and killed in less than 12 hours.

 

Bongani Skhosana, 40, a candidate for ward councillor in Harding, southern
KZN, was shot dead around 6am on Monday, at his home and in full view of
children.

 

Khanyisile Ngobese Sibisi was shot dead during a Mandela Day event in
Ladysmith on Monday afternoon. She was a candidate for Ward 20.

 

Khanyisile Ngobese-Sibisi.jpg

 

It is understood she was in a car with others when a vehicle went by and
shots were fired. Sibisi was the only person killed. Further details were
not available on Monday evening.

 

Sibisi's and Skhosana's deaths bring the number of ANC members killed in the
past few months to 12. Four have been killed in Edendale, Pietermaritzburg,
two in Newcastle and others elsewhere in the province.

 

Last week an ANC branch chairwoman in Edendale, and her children, narrowly
escaped death when they came under fire.

 

Bongani Skhosana

 

Skhosana stood a chance of being elected ward councillor in Ward 1. The ward
is currently under the NFP which has been disqualified from the elections
after failing to pay the election deposit.

 

Skhosana's uncle, Phila Skhosana, said their family was devastated. He said
Skhosana left behind a wife and three children, the oldest being 9.

 

He had a business transporting children to school. Phila said Skhosana was
just getting into his car when he was shot and killed. There were three
children in the yard, who were among those he was taking to school.

 

There had been no indication that his nephew's life was under threat.

 

"All we know is that he was going to be a leader in this community. This is
a great loss to us and to the community."

 

Sifiso Maphumulo, branch secretary and a leader of the ANC in the area, said
when he arrived Skhosana was lying down next to his car.

 

"I did not get close to him, but there were three cartridges, so we suspect
he was shot three times."

 

Another source speculated that the killer was waiting for Skhosana outside
his home: "There is a small pathway just outside his house, and he was shot
as he tried to get in the car."

 

ANC provincial secretary Super Zuma has called on law enforcement agencies
to increase their visibility in known hot spots and beef up security plans
with the elections less than two weeks ahead.

 

"We are concerned that as we near local government elections we are losing
our ward candidates. What is more saddening is this cowardly act of the
killing of our comrades in front of children."

 

Appeal for information

 

KwaZulu-Natal MEC for Community Safety and Liaison Mxolisi Kaunda said he
was shocked by the attack. He said police had been told to bring those
responsible to book.

 

Hawks spokesman Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi appealed to the community to
come forward with information. He said the task team dealing with the
political killings was struggling because of a lack of information or
witness accounts.

 

Richmond

 

Meanwhile, an ANC constituency office in Richmond was slightly damaged when
it was allegedly petrol bombed on Sunday night.

 

The fire only damaged the reception area and some election material kept
there.

 

Police said a case of arson was opened at the Richmond police station. No
arrests had been made.

 

 

From:
<http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/two-anc-candidates-shot-dead-in-12-h
ours-2046895>
http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/two-anc-candidates-shot-dead-in-12-ho
urs-2046895

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature
database 13824 (20160719) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

-- 
-- 
You are subscribed. This footer can help you.
Please POST your comments to [email protected] or reply to this 
message.
You can visit the group WEB SITE at 
http://groups.google.com/group/yclsa-eom-forum for different delivery options, 
pages, files and membership.
To UNSUBSCRIBE, please email [email protected] . You 
don't have to put anything in the "Subject:" field. You don't have to put 
anything in the message part. All you have to do is to send an e-mail to this 
address (repeat): [email protected] .
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"YCLSA Discussion Forum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send an email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/yclsa-eom-forum.
To view this discussion on the web, visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/yclsa-eom-forum/001301d1e192%246fe72870%244fb57950%24%40com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to