On Feb 4, 2006, at 2:43 PM, joshua schachter wrote:


I'd just like to reiterate my own personal desire for options of navigating bookmarks.

1. Allow sorting by alpha or chronological, both ascending and descending. CLEARLY the guys at del.icio.us recognize that alpha sorting is important for some things as they allow tag sorting alphabetically. I'd like to use del.icio.us to throw up links to items/topics I discuss in my podcast and forcing the people who come to my delicious page to click "earlier" repeatedly until they find the link they are looking for means that unless navigation improves, I'll probably just scrap the idea and put the links on my blog instead.

the alpha stuff is much complicated than one might imagine; i'm thinking about ways to actually make it go fast.

and i am still convinced it is some thing that people think would make life better but would not actually be used much or be particularly useful.

if you have a list of items that go with a specific podcast, perhaps you should tag them in some way that identifies that podcast?

I could tag them by episode, but that requires more effort on their part. I'd like whatever option is easiest for them to be available. Remember, not everyone thinks alike and not everyone finds information easily in the same manner as you do. I think tags are great and work very well in the greater social context of delicious but people coming to it from my podcast might not have the same understanding of how it works initially. All I'm saying is that it gives them just one more option that might help them. That's all.

Re: sorting by alpha being more complicated, I don't get it. In the db, you have bookmark title, and you're telling me that the query

SELECT title, description, tags, etc, FROM bookmarks WHERE owner = 'ownername' ORDER BY title

is more difficult than the same with ORDER BY DatePosted DESC ? I have to admit I don't see how as you are only talking about one person's bookmarks.

Even for searches where you are retrieving hundreds or thousands or search results, I don't see the problem. I'm used to using SQL Server, and I'd assume you are using mySql or something, but I can't imagine the performance difference on searching by a DateTime vs a Text field would be that great (assuming the title field is indexed) would it? I'm thinking of all the web apps and sql queries I've seen which order based on a text field and don't seem to have a problem. Obviously there's something I am not privy to regarding your db structure that makes a difference.

Thanks for the response and for considering the ideas. I realize my tone my come across as hostile, if so I apologize. Obviously if I didn't like delicious I wouldn't use it. I think you guys are doing a great job. I just don't understand comments like "not particularly useful" when clearly people would use a capability. Technical reasons are one thing, "I don't think that way and neither should you" is another.

One more thing, I don't know if it's mac mail or this mailing list but typically in mailing lists when you reply it goes to the list, not the author of the message you are replying to. I keep winding up replying to the person and not the list on this mailing list...

Thanks.

Scott


_______________________________________________
discuss mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.del.icio.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/discuss

Reply via email to