But in the real world, titles just don't often start with their
subjects and the likelihood of an alphabetical search yielding results
is always less than a simple search for the same. If I feel that a
user can't search, I can always provide links that do the search for
them.

As for your podcasts, I wasn't even thinking of having the episode
number, just something to say that "this was a podcast link"
regardless of episode number. More recent links are at the top for a
reason.

> Basically, it's NOT that hard to do. Your response is along the lines
> of "it doesn't have it now so it should always be that way."

I'm not arguing how hard it is to do, I'm saying it is more complex
than just adding an SQL query because there are many other places to
consider the effects of that sorting. That's all, nothing more and
nothing less.

> You
> can't really justify your approach either except that you don't
> understand it. If no one in the world had done any of the things I
> don't understand, we'd still be in caves. I don't accept that response.

No, I UNDERSTAND it, I just think that it would be useful for almost
no one almost none of the time. Unfortunately, the truth is that users
often think they want things that turn out not to be so useful (thus
date-based blog archives, for instance). That's why I asked for
specific examples. Those examples have so for not been compelling (to
me anyway).

What YOU don't seem to get is that there might be people who
understand your request but simply don't agree with your position
regarding its usefulness :)

> Again, and for the final time, I don't accept the argument that
> because you don't like it, it doesn't make sense for anyone. And
> that's basically the only reason not to do this any of you can come
> up with. If I told my clients that, they wouldn't even bother saying
> goodbye, they'd just be gone.

I'm not making that argument-- I'm waiting for a convincing scenario
in which alphabetic listing trumps search or where it even seems
remotely useful. As a user, I am one of the group you are theorizing
about, and I'm not seeing it. The converse of the "I don't like it, so
it must not be useful for anyone" is your "I like it, so it must be
useful for anyone"-- neither are necessarily true. They have no
validity in and of themselves.

> It's ordered chronologically, in
> reverse order. Why? Is the last thing I entered more meaningful to me
> than the first? Who made that decision? Not I.

Like a LOT of decisions, this was made by the software designer. Not
every aspect of every interface can be customized. That's just life.
If del.icio.us is so vexing to you, and Joshua doesn't decide to see
it your way, I'm sure you will find some happy alternative. That's the
beauty-- no tool has to be everything to everyone, right?

I do sympathize, though, having been on the opposite side of this kind
of argument (in my case, after much work to get what I wanted it
turned out I was wrong-- we should all be so lucky :), but I'm not
sure that your hostility is helping you AT ALL.

c
_______________________________________________
discuss mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.del.icio.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/discuss

Reply via email to