On Fri, Sep 8, 2023 at 9:20 AM Alexandre Belloni <
alexandre.bell...@bootlin.com> wrote:

> On 08/09/2023 09:06:39+0200, Martin Jansa wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 8, 2023 at 8:42 AM Yoann Congal <yoann.con...@smile.fr>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi!
> > > Le ven. 8 sept. 2023 à 08:01, MOHAMMED HASSAN <
> hassanchatta...@gmail.com>

> https://docs.yoctoproject.org/ref-manual/system-requirements.html#minimum-free-disk-space

> every
> builds to
> builds
> > >>

> > > rm_work does not impact build time.
> > >

> > That's not true, if only do_install task checksum changed, then without
> > rm_work you can reuse existing do_compile and re-run just following
> tasks,
> > while with rm_work it will need to rebuild from scratch (because
> > do_populate_sysroot and do_package sstate archives won't be valid
> anymore)
> > adding more wear to those NVME drives.
> >

> Did you really have any wear related issues on SSD disks? The
> autobuilders are churning a lot of builds and the disk are doing just
> fine.

My oldest NVME dedicated for OE builds, bought 2019-11-24
https://www.gigabyte.com/SSD/AORUS-NVMe-Gen4-SSD-2TB#kf
with 3600TBW, shows 60% Estimated Remaining Life after around 21K running
hours and started disconnecting under heavy load (not necessary issue
caused by wear) about a year ago and recently became completely unusable
for builds.

2nd one I bought when the issues started on 2022-05-16 has 8400 hours and
Data Units Read:                    87,481,897 [44.7 TB]
Data Units Written:                 210,637,555 [107 TB]

It's acceptable for me (already bought 4TB Segate Firecuda 530 5100TBW
https://www.seagate.com/products/gaming-drives/pc-gaming/firecuda-530-ssd/#
for 2/3 of the price the older 2TB was), but something to keep in mind when
buying disk for builds - with bigger disk you have higher TBW and also
might not need rm_work as often.

And this is just my personal work station where I do a lot of builds, but
the wear on our CI servers where every build job is starts from clean
workspace (uses sstate and premirror) and some builds run pretty much 24/7
will be much higher.

Cheers,