On Thu, 2023-09-28 at 18:43 +0200, Alexander Kanavin wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Sept 2023 at 12:42, Richard Purdie
> <richard.pur...@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>
> > Things which used to be problematic:
> >
> > a) changes involving changes to gcc-source since it uses a shared
> > sources stamps which confused the tools (at least used to). That may
> > have been before gcc-source became a recipe?
> > b) changes to a very common component (e.g. autoconf-native's
> > do_configure) which make it hard to understand where the root cause of
> > the changes came from
> > c) changes which affect many recipes at once, e.g. the do_configure
> > function in base.bbclass
> >
> > It might be helpful to write test cases for the scenario you showed as
> > working above and some of the ones I mention above, then we can
> > document they work and have an easier way to add tests for issues
> > if/as/when we identify the problematic scenarios in future.
>
> I've now written down the tests for these three scenarios and got them
> to pass (in oe-selftest too \0/):
> https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky-contrib/commit/?h=akanavin/sstate-for-all
> (check the commit message too)
>
> I am going to look closer at bitbake-whatchanged, what it aims to do
> and why it doesn't work. I have a hunch it can produce useful high
> level reports, and so shouldn't be simply thrown away. 'bitbake -S
> printdiff' is too techy and verbose for some use cases. Maybe we can
> fold that functionality into 'bitbake -S whatchanged'.

I've wondered if we should split bitbake -S printdiff into a separate
utility? It exists from a time before we had bitbake command APIs.

I'm curious to see what you find with analysis of bitbake-whatchanged.
I'm also somewhat surprised the scenarios you're testing all work!

I'm guess one of the commits I pointed to must have fixed them (the
removal of paths from the sig files)?

Cheers,

Richard