On Thu, 28 Sept 2023 at 18:49, Richard Purdie
<richard.pur...@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> I'm curious to see what you find with analysis of bitbake-whatchanged.

I've taken a look a the script. It obtains the current location of
STAMPS_DIR, then runs this:

        # Generate the new stamps dir
        print("Generating the new stamps ... (need several minutes)")
        cmdline = "STAMPS_DIR=%s bitbake -S none %s" % (new_stampsdir,
args.recipe)

Then it walks both trees, matching up file names with a regex:

# Match the stamp's filename
# group(1): PE_PV (may no PE)
# group(2): PR
# group(3): TASK
# group(4): HASH
stamp_re =

Then there's some code that finds out what changed in the above
between the two sets.

I don't see a way to make it work: messing about with STAMPS_DIR like
that isn't supported, and will either do nothing, or remove the
original stamps. Also stamp filenames aren't really a 'public API',
are they?

Should the script simply be removed, or is there some better way to
re-implement answering the 'what has changed' question in a way that
doesn't flood the console with task hashes? I'd be glad to get
suggestions for this.

Alex