I have tried breaking apart packagegroup-core-boot, making a copy in my
custom layer, removing the line referencing busybox:

    ## VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_login_manager ?= "busybox"

But now bitbake complains with an error message:

    ERROR: Nothing RPROVIDES '${VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_login_manager}'

It seems "VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_login_manager" needs to be defined with a valid
option. I have tested with the option "tinylogin" but that options seems
not implemented in "rocko" branch, because I'm getting this error:

    ERROR: Nothing RPROVIDES 'tinylogin'

Is there some valid alternative available? Where are these alternatives
defined?

In general, is it posible to build yocto images without using busybox at
all?