Hello YOCTO people,

I would like to use standard git tool while using all the Yocto
layers. NOT only Poky repository (which, I believe, works all the way
with git tools), but as much as possible with other github proprietary
repos and layers. Since I am not able to execute git commands using
some number of proprietary repos over github.

As example, I'll use meta-bbb repository.
https://github.com/jumpnow/meta-bbb.git, after cloning the following
happens (chosen, since it has at least dozen of branches):

After cloning, I did not get anything from the following commands,
being in the root of the meta-bbb repo, namely:

[user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ pwd
/home/user/projects2/beaglebone-black/yocto-master/meta-bbb
[user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git describe
fatal: No names found, cannot describe anything.
[user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git tag
[user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git checkout thud
Branch 'thud' set up to track remote branch 'thud' from 'origin'.
Switched to a new branch 'thud'
[user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git checkout sumo
Switched to branch 'sumo'
Your branch is up to date with 'origin/sumo'.
[user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git describe
fatal: No names found, cannot describe anything.
[user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$

The rationale behind this request: git is the powerful tool which
should work and be solely used for YOCTO layers' synchronization. In
other words, YOCTO should give some tools' (namely git) unification
guidelines in some way. :-)

Thank you,
Zoran Stojsavljevic