Russell,

You don't need PREMIRROR for this functionality. It's not exactly
intended for that use.

The simplest way to achieve what you are looking for is to use devtool.
If I understand you correctly you are downloading sources from a remote
repo on GitHub but want to have them locally to make modifications? If
so use:

devtool add myrecipe localsrc fetchuri

from your build environment (you have to source oe-init-build-env
first). devtool then fetches the source from fetchuri into a directory
localsrc as a git repo and automatically creates the recipe for it.

:rjs

--
-----
Rudolf J Streif