hey,

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 10:16 AM Richard Barrass
<r.barr...@bassettelectronics.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I am a lead engineer on project where we run a well-known Linux distribution
> on-top of a SBC (Intel Quad Pentium processor based) driving a 27” display.
> We have a 32GB SSD to run from, which we partition with multiple EXT4
> partitions to help with potential corruption mitigation if the device is
> switched off ‘hard’.
>

> But, with the well-known Linux distribution comes a lot of things we don’t
> need, plus the potential ability to ‘break’ in to our application which is
> running full-screen.
>

> We basically need
>

> QT 5.12 runtime (our application)
>
> SSH
>
> OpenVPN
>
> Wifi
>
> Ethernet
>
> Modem (via Telit modem)
>
> USB-ACM
>
> USB-Memory stick
>

> Is this something I should be looking to the yocto project for, or should I
> be looking at a more ‘traditional’ custom linux distro.

The way you ask the question, you seem to already know the answer ;)

Based on tools, metadata and processes provided by the Yocto Project
and OpenEmbedded, you will be able to create *the* Linux system that
fits your exact needs and requirements. You can customize the content
of the system (image), and also the features you need from each
component that make up the whole system (distro). Doing that with the
Yocto Project means that you are using a standard tool that many
people are familiar with, so it's definitely better than starting your
own custom Linux, or starting to randomly try to trim down an existing
standard Linux distro.

> The only other aspect, is that we have future plans to cost reduce the
> application to be running on a Pi based, 10” display system …

The project is architecture agnostic. So once you have defined your
distro (system config) and your image (system content), you can build
the *same* Linux system for any hardware, even for different
architecture, using the same tools, same metadata, same CI scripts,
... you just need to integrate a BSP layer that provides kernel,
bootloader and hardware specific content.

> Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

On top of that you get to work with our great community ;)