Dear all,

this is not as much a question, as rather a discussion I'd like to spark about the current implementation of tags in Yojimbo (Y). I use Y a lot, and really think tags are a much better solution than hierarchical folders. Therefor, they should be implemented in a useful manner; Currently, they are a rather superficial add-on to have them in the "feature list", but are not really what you (I?) would expect from tags.

1. First and foremost, the "Tag Collection" only allows for smart collections which have ALL tags defined by this collection; This has to change so we can chose between ANY and ALL tags. E.g., I have tags like "postgres", "oracle", "mysql", "db2", etc.. Currently, I always have to add "database" and create a collection for the "database" tag to have all my articles about databases in one collection - very superficial way of doing this (Actually, it would be cool to have tag ontologies, but I guess this would make Y more complicated than user friendly - and then I could right away change to the much to cluttered "evil twin", DE*ONth*nk...)

2. Second, tag collections do not appear in the drawer. Tag collections have to be there, and if I push an item onto it, the item should be automatically assigned [a] tag[s]: for ALL collections all the tags necessary for that collection, for ANY collections a user specified [subset of] tag[s] assigned to that collection. This is another reason why I do not use tag collections currently, as it is much simpler to just use the normal collections for this purpose.

3. Mass tagging. Very important feature, as it is annoying to single- handedly assigning the same tag to several or many items in the collection; Admitted, you can solve this with a script (and should do that for now, obviously...), but it actually should be a "natural" function of Y with a real tag feature.

Well, my 2c about tagging and why it is not a real Y feature currently. If you have anything to add or would like to discuss it, please reply!

Best,
Florian