On Dec 5, 2007, at 2:04 PM, Jeff Berg wrote:

Images are displayed on a gray background, so transparent images that "expect" to be used against a white background don't look right. This doesn't make Yojimbo any less functional for storing, tagging and searching for the images--it just doesn't look "nice."

Truly transparent images - those with an alpha channel - will display fine.

Images like .gif without an alpha channel that have been tuned for a particular background color will look funny along their anti-aliased edges. (This happens in Preview too, FWIW.)

Animated .gif files work in notes, but when I drag them over to create images, they become non-animated files. Easy to work around (by storing animated .gifs in a notes object) so long as you understand the functionality but something I'd like to see addressed.

That is correct. Yojimbo will not play animated gifs. But if the were imported from a file, all of the image data is preserved and an animated gif will be written out at export time.

A little investigation reveals that Yojimbo is creating .tiff files when you drag an image into the Drop Dock. I just "converted" a (small) bunch of compressed .jpg and .gif files into larger .tiff images! And of course, once I "saw" the images, I deleted the original notes--except of course for the notes containing animated .gifs.

Are these images items that you converted from notes via drag and drop? This happens because the text system puts TIFF data on the clipboard, and that is read back in as the image. You can avoid this by dragging out to the Finder first to create a file, the dragging the file back in. (Yes, I realize this isn't terribly convenient.)

Jim