Refleksi: Diberitakan bahwa 218 keluarga ditransmigrasikan ke NTB, mungkin
para tansmigran ini dikirim untuk menempati tempat tempat-tempat yang pernah
didiami oleh umat Ahmadiyah. Only God Knows.
SUARA PEMBARUAN DAILY
218 Keluarga TKI Ikut Transmigrasi
Ahmadiyah refugees to take risk, return home
Panca Nugraha , THE JAKARTA POST , MATARAM | Sat, 02/28/2009 9:12 AM |
After living in uncertainty at a refugee center in West Nusa Tenggara for three
years, 68 members of the Ahmadiyah Islamic sect have decided to risk returning
Syahidin, coordinator for the refugees, said the 68 people from 17 families
would move from the Transito building in Mataram back to their homes in
Ketapang hamlet, Gegerung village, Lingsar district, West Lombok regency, on
"We the 17 families, including mine, have decided to return to our homes in
Ketapang, whatever the risk we might face, after having lived here in
uncertainty for three years. We want to live like any other citizens," Syahidin
He added at least four people had died at the refugee center, while nine babies
were born there during the same period.
At least 160 Ahmadiyah members from 33 families were driven from their homes
after hard-line Muslims attacked them and destroyed their homes and belongings
in early February 2006.
The Indonesian Ulema Council (MUI) previously issued an edict calling the
Ahmadiyah heretical. The edict was seized upon by other hard-line Muslims to
attack the sect's followers elsewhere, including in West Java.
Based on the edict, among other factors, the government then banned Ahmadiyah
followers from spreading their teachings.
The MUI said Ahmadiyah followers had deviated from mainstream Islam by
believing that sect founder Mirza Ghulam Ahmad was a prophet.
Human rights activists have long deplored the attacks against the sect's
followers and criticized the MUI for issuing the edict that triggered the
Syahidin said the 17 families decided to return home because their houses were
still habitable, while the remaining 16 families chose to stay because their
homes were completely destroyed.
He added he hoped the police and local administration would accompany the
refugees on their return.
"But if they don't, we will still go back home. On the security front, we
believe the police are responsible for security," he said.
The Social Services Ministry previously stopped donating rice to the refugees,
saying they could no longer be considered refugees because they had lived at
the center for three years. The ministry said the rice stock would be
prioritized for victims of natural disasters.
Jauzi Djafar, West Nusa Tenggara chairman of the Indonesia Ahmadiyah Group,
said his group had sent a letter to Governor M. Zainul Majdi to inform him of
the planned return.
He added copies of the letter were also sent to the President, Vice President,
home minister, religious affairs minister, social services minister, National
Police chief, attorney general and the National Commission on Human Rights.
"We sent the letters on Feb. 20 to high- and low-ranking officials, including
in Gegerung," he said.
He added the planned return was the Ahmadis' own initiative since the
government had seemingly forgotten their plight.