  From: Bill Amutis
  To: Zappa-List@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, January 29, 2007 10:27 PM
  Subject: Re: [Zappa-List] It was 19 years ago,probably not today.

      So many Zappa fans, so many differing opinions. Like mine. Unlike
Milhouse I rarely pull out Volume 1 or 6. Some brilliant stuff there, granted.
(How about that Mike Brecker solo on Black Napkins on Volume 6?) But a whole
lot of Zappa The Entertainer which is not my favorite aspect of the work.

  Volume 4 is actually my favorite all round listening experience of the set
with a great cameo by Archie Shepp, a blistering, definitive "Outside Now",
"Tiny Sick Tears" and a downright affectionate (and spirited) doo wop medley.
And I prefer this "Torture Never Stops" over the finished product. (Although
the finished product did afford us some great solos through the years.)

  Volume 2's "Dupree's Paradise" does go on for a bit but overall it's
essential listening.

  Took me a while to appreciate Volume 5 (after getting over my resentment that
it was probably the final death knell of the probably never to be released
"History And Collected Improvisations Of The Mothers Of Invention"). And I was
still a fan of the ambient sonics of the older material than the slick
syntethic sounds of the 80's bands when it came out (I still have trouble
trusting things that sound like they shine). But once I got over that hump that
set became a fave as well.

  Volume 3 is real hit or miss for me. I'm decidedly not a fan of the "King
Kong" presented here, conceptually clever though it may be. Still I whip this
set out quicker than Volumes 1 or 6.

  Don't get me wrong here. For the dedicated Zappa fan/maven the whole 12 disc
set is essential. But we all go to the Zappa well for different thirsts.
Volumes 4, 2 & 5 quench mine more than the others.

  Not Dead Yet,

  Bill Amutis
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  web.mac.com/mredison
  (Ol' Baggy Eyes)

  Progress is not possible without deviation from the norm.-Frank Zappa

      What do others think of the Stage series ?Volume 1 is excellent, and is
an album that I would term "essential" for Zappa fans and people just getting
into Zappa. YMMV.

    Volume 2 is Ok. I don't want to use the term "overrated", but it's very
tempting. The first disc is really good. The second one drags down with a
lesser performance of "Dupree's Paradise". The sprint thru "Uncle Meat / Dog
Breath" could be a lot more enjoyable. I wonder why more people don't complain
about the mix on this album. The overall sound is pretty 1980s for it being a
1974 recording. I'm not just talking about the bass drum, either. FZ's guitar
in particular was reprocessed in such a way that it doesn't even sound like his
tone circa 1974. I find it kind of annoying. That and the regrettable overuse
of digital reverb.

    Volume 3 is a hell of a lot of fun. I know a lot of people don't love the
1984 band. And almost an entire album's worth of stuff in this volume might be
a little much. But it's fun. The 1973 "Dickie's" is great, and the extended,
multi-edited "King Kong" is awesome.

    Volume 4 is too inconsistent. This could have been an amazing volume of the
series, but too many selections sabotage it. The 1982 stuff is great, but
there's a lot of other stuff on it that leaves me unsatisfied. Think of what
else could have been used from the Bongo Fury tour instead of the long and
boring "original" Torture Never Stops, for instance.

    Volume 5. Hm. I don't listen to the first disc very often. It's great when
I want an early Mothers fix, but I don't come back to it very often. The 1982
band.. what can I say. 2nd disc is great, but there certainly could have been
better song choices than another version of "Dancing Fool". That said, it's one
of my favorite individual discs of the series.

    Volume 6 is actually probably my 2nd favorite overall of the series, after
Volume 1. I'm not crazy about a couple of the choices on the first disc, but
the second disc is excellent. It's really a shame the series ended here, as
there was obviously so much more of this kind of live stuff that FZ could have
put together, but.. he probably spent an awful lot of time on these 6 volumes
anyway and needed to move on to other projects at some point.

    --Milhouse

  =