> This is just what I recall from reading various things but there were one
or two of these books of transcriptions in
> the 70s that I believe were produced with input from FZ, esp. as evidenced
in some of the amusing annotations

There's only one of those, despite the "Vol. 1" in the title.
It can be found on Zappateers in PDF-format:
http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3231

The one with transcriptions by Steve Vai is The Frank Zappa Guitarbook from
1982:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Frank_Zappa_Guitar_Book

Both titles are getting harder to find, but I was lucky enough to score (pun
intended) a copy of the Guitarbook at a record fair earlier this year.

best wishes,
Marco Kalnenek

http://www.weirdomusic.com

Weirdomusic.com