after finally getting the driver to use channel 7 (somehow) I have
problems staying connected. I can surf the internet for a couple of
minutes before getting disconnected from my ap (I masked the ap address
with 'xx'):

Aug  3 01:27:23 localhost kernel:
Aug  3 01:27:23 localhost kernel: Rx Disasoc from AP(Rsn:7),set

I have no idea why that happens. After the disconnect no reconnect is
possible, I have to reboot. Also, dmesg shows me a lot of these (for
example when playing around with iwpriv):

Aug  3 01:48:33 localhost kernel: wlan0 (WE) : Buffer for request
SIOCGIWPRIV too small (16<17)
Aug  3 01:48:33 localhost kernel: ********zd1211_USB_PACKAGE_READ_REGISTER

This happens on Debian Sarge, Kernel 2.6.8 (i386) with driver r77 in mixed
mode with WEP128.