Ulrich pointed out that trendware have released a new device (Trendware
Trendnet TEW-429UF)

This device is based on ZD1211 and includes a hotspot finder, as well as
512mb (R/W) flash memory.

Another interesting point is that it is not advertised to support
802.11a. All devices which include a hotspot finder which we have
previously known about are AL7230B-based, which means they support 802.11a.

If anyone finds themselves in possession of one of these, please write
to this list. I'm interested to know how it works. I guess they have
included a virtual USB hub in the device, with two child devices:
ZD1211, flash storage

It either has USB ID's of 157e:300c or 157e:300d. I suspect it is the
300c one, because we already know of a different device using 300d.

They are quite expensive, at about $100