Hi Daniel,

The old zd1211-83 works very well (e.g. with kernel 2.6.18),
but I haven't managed to make the zd1211rw included in 2.6.19-rc1
work, yet.

I had posted some similar question three months ago (sorry
for the huge delay). Your recommendation was to skip all
the Debian network config and to manually run iwconfig
instead. So I did:

For testing I have commented out both wlan0 and eth2 from
the network configuration, and booted the new kernel.
If I plug in the USB dongle (the "old" Fiberline WL-430U
with usb id 0ace:1211), then the kernel says

usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
ieee80211: 802.11 data/management/control stack, git-1.1.13
ieee80211: Copyright (C) 2004-2005 Intel Corporation <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
zd1211rw 1-3:1.0: firmware version 4605
zd1211rw 1-3:1.0: zd1211 chip 0ace:1211 v4330 high 00-11-f6 RF2959_RF pa0 ----
zd1211rw 1-3:1.0: eth2
usbcore: registered new interface driver zd1211rw

iwconfig returns:

% iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth1      no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

eth2      IEEE 802.11b/g  ESSID:off/any  Nickname:"zd1211"
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Invalid
          Encryption key:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

Running iwconfig to set the essid _seems_ to succeed, but the
essid is just wiped out:

% iwconfig eth2 essid harrinet
% echo $?
0
% iwconfig eth2
eth2      IEEE 802.11b/g  ESSID:""  Nickname:"zd1211"
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Invalid
          Encryption key:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

Maybe this is related:

% iwlist eth2 scan
eth2      Interface doesn't support scanning : No such device

Any helpful hint would be highly appreciated.

Many thanx

Harri