Daniel Drake wrote:

> The firmware is not rewritten and we don't know the instruction
> format. The vendor firmware is GPL, could be included in the kernel,
> but instead we pull it from userspace as this is more sensible and
> doesn't tie a firmware version to a driver version.

OK, I just installed Ubuntu 6.10 RC1 (edgy). zd1211rw/firmware are
included in the kernel (2.6.17-10-generic) and is fully functional
without having to download the firmware from http://www.deine-taler.de.
(thumbs up for Ubuntu)

I just looked at the output of dmesg under Fedora Core 6 (kernel
2.6.18-1.2798.fc6-xen).
Here is the output:

ieee80211_crypt: unregistered algorithm 'NULL'
ieee80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'NULL'
ieee80211: 802.11 data/management/control stack, git-1.1.13
ieee80211: Copyright (C) 2004-2005 Intel Corporation <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
usb 3-1: Could not load firmware file zd1211/zd1211_ub. Error number -2
zd1211rw 3-1:1.0: couldn't load firmware. Error number -2
usb 3-1: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
zd1211rw: probe of 3-1:1.0 failed with error -2
usbcore: registered new driver zd1211rw

For some reason I'm seeing a different directory structure (and assoc.
files) for  installed zd1211rw under Fedora compared to Ubuntu.  I
figured maybe Fedora has the older version of zd1211rw,  so I  will file
a bug report at bugzilla.redhat.com to have the module updated.

> Remember to set the transmit rate manually as their is no automatic
> adjustment. But yes, I think speed isn't as good as the vendor driver,
> although their RX engine has deviated so much it's hard to compare
> specific details...
>
> Daniel
I will try that again a little later. Thanks.

eric