On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 10:10:56 +0100, Hans Dingemans wrote:

> I'm not the expert here, but wouldn't it be a good idea to make sure
> disconnect() is called on both reset and reboot (by root), and all other
> "exit" scenario's possible. That then would be a "clean" exit, not relying
> on how other components in the environment are acting?

The problem is that we can't rely in all case in a clean exit solution.
For example if you kernel panic and reboot, the kernel will reboot without
notifying the drivers. Same problem if you use the hardware reset. I am not
even certain that Linux call driver disconnect on normal reboot.

All sane device has a way (often reset) to go from an unknow state to a
know state.

The best solution should be to find a way to do the "black magic" for
reseting the device in probe and not in disconnect.

Matthieu