On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, David Myers wrote:

> So we're all working with a hacked 2.6.16 kernel that Sony provides. My
> understanding is that a lot of PS3 things have been added to the 2.6.20
> kernel, but I really don't know how much, or whether they are adequate to
> run the box.

I didn't follow PS3 patches very closely on ppc-devel, but you might try
the powerpc.git tree, it probably would have more ps3 patches than the
kernel.org releases.

> Finally, at least one of the problems in the compile below is the lack of
> adequate compiler flags for the PPC64/Cell architecture. Some guesses as to
> flags to try would be appreciated.

Well, you do get all the same flags under 2.6 as those used by the kernel
itself when compiling external modules just by doing "make -C <kernel tree
path> M=<external modules path> modules" and your Makefile should just
contain the minimum... And that's indeed what is done by the Makefile in
the vendor zd1211 driver. Try adding "V=1" to the make command line and
see if you get all the same flags as the kernel itself. You might want to
comment out this line:

EXTRA_CFLAGS += -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -pipe

from the zd1211 Makefile though.

Thanks
Guennadi
---