13.05.2011 14:22, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> ownership of the firmware files (and the containing directories)?

The firmware loading is done from a root process, so permissions
are largely irrelevant.  Especially with this error number
(-2 = ENOENT No such file or directory).

> Krzysztof Stankiewicz wrote:
>>   Im developing on LPC3250 NPX Embedded system, Ive placed the firmawere
>> where instructed,
>> and I keep getting this error no matter what I do?
>> Ive gone as far ast tracing the kernel stack but makes no sense to me..
>> can anyone help?
>>
>> usb 1-1: Could not load firmware file zd1211/zd1211b_ub. Error number -2
>> zd1211rw 1-1:1.0: couldn't load firmware. Error number -2

This looks like the system can't run the firmware loader,
ie, it can't start /sbin/hotplug or whatever is configured
in /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug.  You need udev or hotplug package
or a simple script for /sbin/hotplug.

The file should be in /lib/firmware/zd1211/zd1211b_ub.

/mjt