if you do an strace on ifconfig as it is bringing the interface up you will
see the device that the driver is looking for to load the firmware and not
finding. i am not that expert to know what it is , but i have found a way
around the problem for all drivers that have this firmware loading problem,
and that is to use the facility available to compile the firmware "blob"
directly
into the kernel.

put the firmware in the subdirectory of the kernel tree named firmware
and then go into the kernel configuration(Device drivers/Generic Driver
Options/Include in-kernel firmware blobs in kernel binary)  and list their
names there.
it seems customary to put them in a subdir in  exactly the same way as in the
/lib/firmware
dir and then list the  path/name (eg zd1211/zd1211b_ub) in the config
option.

recompile the kernel. no more firmware problems.

fractoid