On 8/25/20 1:27 AM, Jan Grashöfer wrote:
I think the underlying issue extends to the pcaps as well. If I am not
mistaken, a significant number of test cases make use of the same pcaps.
Having multiple copies of them scattered across different repositories
doesn't feel right.

Good point, yeah. I took a look at this. The btests in the Zeek distribution use 352 different pcaps. The tests for the policy folder use 30; 18 of them are also used by other tests. That set is small, less than 1MB. Use of the same pcap across the policy tests is pretty limited and would likely occur only within one new package. So it's not too bad -- if those tests migrate into new Zeek packages, we would duplicate those 18 pcaps, but mostly just once.

Other Zeek packages seem pretty unlikely to need a pcap from the Zeek distribution, but I'd argue they probably benefit from a standard random.seed and some of the canonicalizers.

An alternative would be to install the full set of pcaps (that's 23MB), probably optionally, and make the availability of the pcap a test requirement.

What do you think? I personally could live with duplicating those pcaps.

Best,
Christian